"A horse is like a mirror, and it's reflecting what and who you are."


This is just a little diary of my horse life. I teach natural horsemanship and dressage. I am currently working on getting back to L4 Parelli after a car accident and surgery.


I suffered from a fear of failure, as things had not gone according to planned after my time off from my injuries. It had been an paralyzing disability (fear) but my healing is coming along nicely, and I hope to pass my level 4 before the end of 2011.


I don't know where I am going, but I am NOT lost!


I am now reviewing dvd's and books, and blogging my reviews. The link on the left in the categories (DVD Clinician Reviews)will take you straight to it. You will find links to the websites of all dvd clinicians I review and they are located on the left hand side bottom of page of the page. None of the clinicians or trainers I am reviewing, sponsor, endorse or authorize this site. For more info about them please click on thier link.

I hope you enjoy!

Savvy On,
Michelle


I will be giving Savvy Star Ratings based soley on my opinion of it's value to a parelli student as such


***** Must own

**** Must watch

*** Worth watching, but you won't die without it

** Eh' take it with a grain of salt, you will have to filter alot

* OK, but there is better stuff out there to spend your time and money on

0 stars....skip it, it just isn't worth your time.




Friday, November 5, 2010

DVD Review:**** Klaus Hempfling: Dances with horses

Dances with Horses: ****

This is his first video, and I honestly think while not particularly educational, it is the prelude to his second more 'how to' dvd, but there are philosiphical things to be learned. It is an old video, back toward the birth of NH and it is tantalizing to watch him. He…in my book, truly IS a horse whisperer. The target audience in this is the same in all 'intro' things clinicians do.  Alot of, 'horses don't have to be so hard', and 'we don't have to be so violent".   I would start with this dvd for sure, then immediatly get his second dvd. He has a deep connection with the cosmos, himself and the horse. He describes how it is our selves, in our approach to a horse, that instantly causes a horse to behave the way it does. Basically, it isn't the horse that has problems, it is YOU.  They truly are our mirrors.  If you approach a horse properly to begin with, you will not illicit such ill behavior. So if you come across a horse with a long history of violent behavior, it will take a few min for him to see your inner spirit and calm down, if you have it together.  Of course, this is not saying you can just watch the dvd, go out and not get killed.  But it clearly demonstrates how he literally gives a horse nothing to brace against…NOTHING. He never pulls on a rope, and never wiggles it or anything, not even a light touch with it. His hands are soft and open on the rope. 100% body language. No learn burns here.  In fact he mostly uses a "cordero". I have no idea if this is the real name for it.  I know a riding neck rope, kinda like using a savvy string around the neck for riding, is called a "cordeo", but it is stiffer than a savvy string.  Anyways, he uses this soft neck rope with a lead on it, instead of a halter.  Not in all situations though. 

I highly recommend this dvd to get a feel of him. Warning: He has/had a goofy, wierd, odd, spiritual way of “exercising”, that kinda makes you think he is a little bit of a fruit loop. And really aren’t all genius artists? As I watched, I was thinking….hmm….how do you teach some one to be in touch with a horse by getting in touch with the universe and rolling on the floor like 2yo child, hopped up on lucky charms? Let me tell you this is definitely a more advanced vision, and may not be all that appropriate for a new horse person….but it is still worth a watch for everyone, as just seeing it will let you know, that your crazy horse just may be a reflection of your self. You have to have an open mind and just watch and let it soak in.  You have to be ready for this, to see what is happening in the video.  I am going to get his books for sure, as I bet now that I have seen him in action, the words on paper will have an instant impact on me. This video impressed on me enough to know….there is something magical in what he does, it is refinement in it's finest form, and I am ready to learn it. You know the saying …..when the student is ready the master will appear…
well I am ready and here he is.

I consider this a must watch dvd, as it would be nearly imposible for me to get it right in expaining it. You just HAVE to watch it!

For more info click here to go to his site



Coming Together: *****

review coming soon

Savvy On
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

I know I am not perfect.....so be nice!