"A horse is like a mirror, and it's reflecting what and who you are."


This is just a little diary of my horse life. I teach natural horsemanship and dressage. I am currently working on getting back to L4 Parelli after a car accident and surgery.


I suffered from a fear of failure, as things had not gone according to planned after my time off from my injuries. It had been an paralyzing disability (fear) but my healing is coming along nicely, and I hope to pass my level 4 before the end of 2011.


I don't know where I am going, but I am NOT lost!


I am now reviewing dvd's and books, and blogging my reviews. The link on the left in the categories (DVD Clinician Reviews)will take you straight to it. You will find links to the websites of all dvd clinicians I review and they are located on the left hand side bottom of page of the page. None of the clinicians or trainers I am reviewing, sponsor, endorse or authorize this site. For more info about them please click on thier link.

I hope you enjoy!

Savvy On,
Michelle


I will be giving Savvy Star Ratings based soley on my opinion of it's value to a parelli student as such


***** Must own

**** Must watch

*** Worth watching, but you won't die without it

** Eh' take it with a grain of salt, you will have to filter alot

* OK, but there is better stuff out there to spend your time and money on

0 stars....skip it, it just isn't worth your time.




Sunday, November 21, 2010

DVD Review:** Spanish Walk with Allen Pogue

Spanish Walk and Liberty Pole: **

Yet again, I had to do alot of 'filtering'  But I will say, it gave me alot of IDEAS.  And while I am watching it, all I can think of..IS....why in the HELL don't Pat and Linda do trick dvd's.  Absolutely rediculous that they don't.  As I watched, I was thinking of the many ways, I would have to tweak the 'training' to make it go along with the way I would go about teaching this to the horse.  The problem is, I did infact get inspired by watching this.  NOT because of his method, but because where else was I going to get the ideas on how to do something fun, cool, useful.  Yes, spanish walk is useful. IMO.  Clinton Anderson will be coming out with a 'trick' dvd soon, I think I will have to watch it too!

So here is the deal.  There are quite a few upper level parelli students doing this stuff, and I know it wasn't taught by parelli, but OBVIOUSLY the intrest is there, or students wouldn't be doing it.  I too want to do it, and think it would be a fun way to fill the gloomy winter months.  But I didn't honestly have much of a clue how to start.  So in this dvd, first thing i realized is that there was a pre-curser dvd I should have rented, which is the "shaping behavior' dvd where he teaches the "salute".  That is the pre-requisite to the spanish walk as it teaches the horse to raise and hold it's leg up.  But, I saw enough in this dvd, that I think I can go without, although I will rent the dvd.  Since I was already thinking of what "cue" I would use rather than his incesant voice commands, and exclusive use of the the whip, I got the idea of how to start the 'salute' anyways.

So how he does it, like i said, is voice and whip touches to the legs.  I would prefer to use MY leg as the cue, and the whip touch as the motivator (phase 2-3-4).  I would also like to stand facing forward, so this can be a "stick to me" "mirror me" game.  He does have good tips of what NOT to do, how far NOT to take it.  His use of his 'liberty pole' seems a bit unrealistic, though it works for him.  I can think of better, more natural and 'get in harmony' ways to do it.

So I am giving him 2 stars again, as I am sure there are better trick training dvd's out there, AND I believe there are better ways to do it as well, BUT as I said, 2 stars for getting my imagination flowing and giving me a starting point.

Savvy On
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

I know I am not perfect.....so be nice!