"A horse is like a mirror, and it's reflecting what and who you are."


This is just a little diary of my horse life. I teach natural horsemanship and dressage. I am currently working on getting back to L4 Parelli after a car accident and surgery.


I suffered from a fear of failure, as things had not gone according to planned after my time off from my injuries. It had been an paralyzing disability (fear) but my healing is coming along nicely, and I hope to pass my level 4 before the end of 2011.


I don't know where I am going, but I am NOT lost!


I am now reviewing dvd's and books, and blogging my reviews. The link on the left in the categories (DVD Clinician Reviews)will take you straight to it. You will find links to the websites of all dvd clinicians I review and they are located on the left hand side bottom of page of the page. None of the clinicians or trainers I am reviewing, sponsor, endorse or authorize this site. For more info about them please click on thier link.

I hope you enjoy!

Savvy On,
Michelle


I will be giving Savvy Star Ratings based soley on my opinion of it's value to a parelli student as such


***** Must own

**** Must watch

*** Worth watching, but you won't die without it

** Eh' take it with a grain of salt, you will have to filter alot

* OK, but there is better stuff out there to spend your time and money on

0 stars....skip it, it just isn't worth your time.




Saturday, February 5, 2011

DVD Review:*** Karen Scholl 'cornerstone'

Cornerstone for communication.***

This is Karens intro dvd to her method.  Her having been a Parelli instructor, you will find her method in line with the Parelli program and for a new student it is a good dvd to get a different perspective on the techniques.  But you won't miss anything if you don't watch it. 

She talks alot in the dvd about the concepts, and for this upper level student it was too much....been there and heard all that before.  There was nothing in there that sheds any light to new techniques.  But it is straight forward and very informative and very discriptive on the details.  She is very light and very quiet with her horses, and one thing she doesn't seem to do is go to punitive phase 4.  BUT....in this dvd she is using a horse that is already well versed in the method and already very light and quiet.  She states in the dvd that her other dvd's use untrained horses and show more of what it might look like with a new horse or student.  However she doesn't say which dvd that would be in.

Things covered are the basics, such as:

desnsitzing (rhythmic motion), steady and rhythmic preasure

Skills covered in the dvd:

Friendly, Extreme friendly 'helicopter'
Rhythmic preasure: Backing several ways (yo-yo), turning the front end while leading in zone 2/3,disengage hind end.  Steady pressure: lower head, coming forward, backing from chest and nose, turning forehand, hind end, sideways.

I would have to say if you are a level 1, even a level 2 student, you might very well find this a really nice bonus to your journey.

Savvy On
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

I know I am not perfect.....so be nice!