"A horse is like a mirror, and it's reflecting what and who you are."


This is just a little diary of my horse life. I teach natural horsemanship and dressage. I am currently working on getting back to L4 Parelli after a car accident and surgery.


I suffered from a fear of failure, as things had not gone according to planned after my time off from my injuries. It had been an paralyzing disability (fear) but my healing is coming along nicely, and I hope to pass my level 4 before the end of 2011.


I don't know where I am going, but I am NOT lost!


I am now reviewing dvd's and books, and blogging my reviews. The link on the left in the categories (DVD Clinician Reviews)will take you straight to it. You will find links to the websites of all dvd clinicians I review and they are located on the left hand side bottom of page of the page. None of the clinicians or trainers I am reviewing, sponsor, endorse or authorize this site. For more info about them please click on thier link.

I hope you enjoy!

Savvy On,
Michelle


I will be giving Savvy Star Ratings based soley on my opinion of it's value to a parelli student as such


***** Must own

**** Must watch

*** Worth watching, but you won't die without it

** Eh' take it with a grain of salt, you will have to filter alot

* OK, but there is better stuff out there to spend your time and money on

0 stars....skip it, it just isn't worth your time.




Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Just go put your foot on something


We are moving along nicely in level 2 now. Really diggin in full swing. We are playing in all the L2 patterns except change of direction at the trot. But we are close to starting it. First we need to master it at the walk. I really noticed he is terrified of his feet touching things. So clearly we need to tackle this challenge from any direction possible. We started with a small piece of plywood, and he would NOT do it. While playing friendly with the trailer, he put one foot on it and scared the ever loving CRAP out of himself. So I dug out a tarp. Had him follow me and it until he nearly stepped on it, then spread it out for him. Heck no. He goes up to it fine. Sniffs it. Stands real close to it. But no feet. It dawned on me that he, being an RBI can’t handle being “pushed”, so I changed from a “sending” position in zone 2-3, to a leading position in Zone 1. Shazam! He felt less pressure with me 1:farther away, 2: in a less powerful position. Ie: I can’t touch him from there. Both front feet on the tarp. Woo Hoo! I was even able to walk away to the garage, get my phone and take a pic, and he stayed ON THE TARP! So we went to the trailer to play more friendly there. While he is willing to put his head in, he really doesn’t want to “explore”. Not that I can blame him. His only times into a trailer have been horrifying for him. So while my goal is to eventually get him in the trailer, my real goal is to change his mind ABOUT the trailer. So, I was not satisfied with his opinion of it. So I poured grain in there. But I wouldn’t let him get it on his own. Only if I sent him to it. ‘reverse psychology”. I put it from the edge….to just out of reach. In rows from back to front. I would send him to it let him have a few nibbles, then back him out. True to his pattern, try #5, he dang near jumped in. I stopped him though. I don’t want him to scare himself again till he is way more comfortable with the trailer. I would like to get his feet on some kind of pedestal first as well, something he has to step UP onto. Anyways, when I went to “retreat” he would not leave the trailer area. I loved it. I think a few more sessions like that, along with our sideways play around the trailer and squeeze between the trailer, we might be going for a ride in a few short weeks. One night when I put him back in his corral, he actually rubbed on me when I took the halter off. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, that he thinks enough of me to do that. He trusts me enough let his guard down and be friendly with me. While being rubbed on is not my favorite thing to receive. I have learned thru Rose that it really builds rapport with a horse. I do however draw the line, and not let them do it WITH the halter on. Those knots hurt!
Savvy On
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

I know I am not perfect.....so be nice!