"A horse is like a mirror, and it's reflecting what and who you are."


This is just a little diary of my horse life. I teach natural horsemanship and dressage. I am currently working on getting back to L4 Parelli after a car accident and surgery.


I suffered from a fear of failure, as things had not gone according to planned after my time off from my injuries. It had been an paralyzing disability (fear) but my healing is coming along nicely, and I hope to pass my level 4 before the end of 2011.


I don't know where I am going, but I am NOT lost!


I am now reviewing dvd's and books, and blogging my reviews. The link on the left in the categories (DVD Clinician Reviews)will take you straight to it. You will find links to the websites of all dvd clinicians I review and they are located on the left hand side bottom of page of the page. None of the clinicians or trainers I am reviewing, sponsor, endorse or authorize this site. For more info about them please click on thier link.

I hope you enjoy!

Savvy On,
Michelle


I will be giving Savvy Star Ratings based soley on my opinion of it's value to a parelli student as such


***** Must own

**** Must watch

*** Worth watching, but you won't die without it

** Eh' take it with a grain of salt, you will have to filter alot

* OK, but there is better stuff out there to spend your time and money on

0 stars....skip it, it just isn't worth your time.




Tuesday, August 9, 2011

What a great playday!

This being my first one to ‘host’, I was unsure of what to expect or do. It was a lot of ‘stuff’ to load into the truck, out of the truck, set up, and reload into the truck and unload again at home. Whew…that alone was enough to wear me out. It was Bill and Jason’s first playday too. Bill having only been a horse person for all of 1 week, I was worried about him too. I was worried about his safety and fun level. We got there an hour early to set every thing up. We proceeded to play at 11am, and the ‘end’ time was set for 4pm. Turns out….THAT is a long day. Bill and Jason were very helpful….and we learned that Syrah is a bit of a load to haul. She flattened the trailer tires! They were good enough to get there going slow, and once unloaded, Bill took the trailer to the gas station to air up the tires before we headed back home. Also, despite their hatred for each other, and a few squeals, Rose and Syrah traveled together well. Maybe next time, Spirit won’t need to travel in the tack room all alone. (I figured he was safer in there, in case a war broke out between the girls) Before we played, while we were setting things up, we let everyone just run around, something they can’t really do at home. The group that was meeting us, had trailer issues and were unable to contact me to let me know they were running late, so we just got started.


I let the boys, do their own thing, and ask for instruction when they wanted it. I think that was best, otherwise I am just the know it all wife/mom barking orders at them. You know...the whole....let it be 'thier' idea!  Syrah is not ‘afraid’ of anything, except being ‘alone’ or being asked to ‘go fast’. Bill did REALLY good with the yo-yo game and was getting a fairly decent grasp of the circling game. But a few times he, for what ever reason, wanted her to go faster…on a 12’ line. ……so she bolted away from him a few times. Jason was quite the 'teacher' for his dad, and had frequent tasks for Bill to try.  Then Jason suggested Bill try to sideways her over the pole. It was pretty much a no go. They both need a fence. Bill asked me to teach her the fig 8, which she picked up pretty quickly, and I also addressed her need to flee when pressure is put on her…..thus her learning her first steps of sideways. Jason and Spirit, worked on reviewing L1, and he told me he thinks he wants to work on L2 now.....after doing nothing (other than a couple schooling shows) with his pony for the last 1yr and 3mos since he passed L1. But….ok, we can make it a family affair, maybe, and we can all play together in the yard.

As for Rose and I, we did quite a bit more than I expected to. We got to work on all sorts of things. On the 45’ line, we worked on change of direction at trot, yo-yo, sideways over a barrel, driving from zone5, pushing a ball. At liberty we played stick to me, sideways toward, and draw backward from zone 5, and at freestyle we played with learning how to ride from a neck rope….stop, reinback and turn. We also did all the good stuff she knows well, sideways, fq/hq turns. It was no surprise; I was exhausted 3hrs later when the other ladies joined us. They got the trailer stuck between a tree and a propane tank. YIKES! I played a bit with them, but was so tired, I mostly just rambled on. No surprise there! I would have like to join them on a trail ride, but Bill was spent, and had already loaded the truck with all the toys. The cool thing was that one of the ladies was able to help me a bit with Rose. Rose has issues with other horses getting too close to her. So I asked them if they could approach her and offer a cookie, to see if it could change her mind. It did a little, which is the only thing that has ever made any appreciable….positive difference in her. So I think it is a great direction to explore further. 

All in all, Bill, Jason and myself had alot of fun together, and I made new friends.  I don't know how soon I will do another one, simply because it is alot of work to load all that crap in the truck!  And if Bill doesn't come...that means I gotta do it myself!  For now, I am waiting on Jason's soccer schedule to be posted so I can see what Saturdays I even have available, and then plan my horse schedule for the next few months.

One day at a time I guess.

Savvy On
Michelle


2 comments:

  1. Well you did it the once! Kudos to you for doing all that hard work. It will get easier the more you do it and set up a pattern. Hark at me the expert1 Not!
    You and Rose look amazing together xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks cilla, i am still waiting on soccer schedule for the season so I can plan what i might like to do, either hosting myself or visiting. i agree, the more i do it, the better i will get at it....and i have already learned that less is more!

    ReplyDelete

I know I am not perfect.....so be nice!